Monday, June 6, 2011

The Stare You Can Feel

It happened to me this morning as I was working in my coffeehouse office. Intent on what I was doing, suddenly the back of my neck started to prickle and I was involuntarily drawn to raise my head and look to my left. There was a young lady staring at me. The reason is not known nor important. I have done the same thing and been caught doing it. You know what I mean?


But it made me think? What compelled me to know that she was looking at me? Why did it make me feel a little uncomfortable? Self-conscious?

For me, it is that as a person in the "public eye" quite a bit, it is nice to think that I can be virtually invisible at times. Then I don't have to tuck my stomach in (smile, you know what I mean) or sit up straight and proper in a chair (though it is better for my posture if I would do that all the time). Sometime, I just want to be me.

But it made me think. Why doesn't my spiritual antenna tune in to the eyes of my Heavenly Father that are ALWAYS watching me? Not out of curiosity, but out of love and care of me.

So that is my prayer today. "Father, help me to be more mindful of Your caring eyes. Let me make decisions and conduct myself in the way that would make you proud. Make you smile. Glorify you. Keep me in tune with the reality that Your eyes are always on me."


The eyes of the Lord are toward the righteous and His ears toward their cry. (Psalm 34:15)