Thursday, December 1, 2011

How My Neighbor Praises Jesus


Through Him then let us continually offer up a sacrifice of praise to God, that is, the fruit of lips that acknowledge HIS name. 
(Hebrews 13:15)


 Ken is a tall, lanky, black man from Barbados. He and his family have made the best of neighbors for the past eight years. He is affectionately called Pastor Ken and there is a good reason. Though I do not believe he actually pastors a church, he certainly is in love with Jesus!

This morning as I was rushing out of my driveway with nothing on my mind but poor me with all I have to do, I saw Ken walking up and down the sidewalk in front of his house with his hands raised high, praying and singing. To a passerby, he would look rather maniacal, I would imagine, but to me....it's just down right convicting! It caused me to pause and slow down. To ponder my priorities. My heart's pursuits.

Would I walk down the street praising Jesus without a thought as to what it might look like? Should I? 
So many thoughts today about what my praise looks like to God and others...

                                                                 Alvin Slaughter, The Sacrifice of Praise
 
Therefore let us be grateful for receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken, and thus let us offer to God acceptable worship, with reverence and awe, for our God is a consuming fire. (Hebrews 12:28)