Thursday, June 27, 2013

Spinning Out of Control




I love social media. But even good things have crusty corners. Ten years ago, we were "in the dark" about many social issues that now flow around the internet. Dangerous as well as exciting that we have so much information at our fingertips. Sometimes the information overload can simply spin out of control. Where does it end?

Jessica Rey recently spoke out loud about her belief on modesty - citing the bikini as one of its most damaging culprits. Watch the video HERE. Many perhaps offended women accused Rey of using her platform of modesty as a way to sell her Hepburn-inspired one-piece swimsuits which she began designing back in 2008. See the Rey swimwear here. Sharp marketing skills or a jab toward bikinis? Who knows? Do you? Do I?

In the past three days, I have read numerous Facebook statuses and three particular blogs that responded to Jessica Rey's allies and adversaries. Some were insightful and I gleaned insight by reading them. Others were simply rants about a woman who dared to speak her faith out loud. There were accusations and defiant quips like "wear whatever you want to wear" and "we are not responsible for the sinful thoughts of men." When I read statements like that, it is not hard to see which side of the "weaker brother" - "stronger brother" they lie. And because of that, I choose to say nothing in response to them directly (or to enter the social media pool of arguments), but the "Kim" in me certainly wants to!!




Modesty is a weighty subject and not one that I will explore today. There is a more important matter that I feel has been overlooked in this modesty discussion and many other discussions that take place in our social media world today. As a Christian, I gauge my belief system and even my reactions to things by what the Bible says. God is the Creator of wisdom; so Who knows better how to guide me in my daily living?

ROMANS 14. 
A powerful and timeless standard on how I should treat others and how to live out my faith without an IN YOUR FACE attitude toward others.


One person believes he may eat anything, while the weak person eats only vegetables. Let not the one who eats despise the one who abstains, and let not the one who abstains pass judgment on the one who eats, for God has welcomed him. Who are you to pass judgment on the servant of another? It is before his own master that he stands or falls. And he will be upheld, for the Lord is able to make him stand. (Romans 14:2-4)



Simply put, Jessica Rey had the Christian liberty to design her line of clothes and also to talk about her belief about modesty. We, on the other hand, have no right to judge her because she doesn't think like we do. This is her standing before God. Not before you or me.

Therefore let us not pass judgment on one another any longer, but rather decide never to put a stumbling block or hindrance in the way of a brotherI know and am persuaded in the Lord Jesus that nothing is unclean in itself, but it is unclean for anyone who thinks it unclean. For if your brother is grieved by what you eat, you are no longer walking in love. By what you eat, do not destroy the one for whom Christ died.  (Romans 14:13-15)


In light of just these few verses (though I advise you read the entire chapter), we do have a responsibility to our brothers and sisters to not grieve them - even if we feel we have the liberty to wear whatever we desire. 

Sometimes our faith must be lived out just between us and God. (verse 22) Only God can help us to know when that is a good thing to do.