Thursday, August 30, 2012

160 Million Reasons




When I was pregnant with my third child, we evacuated from Liberia because of civil war. We had been missionaries there for five years up until that time. The traumatizing events that followed the sudden evacuation reverberated through our family for quite some time. Nearly seven months pregnant when we were forced to leave our ministries, I developed some complications. After returning to the states, I quickly made an appointment with my OB-GYN doctor to make sure the baby was okay. During that visit, they were able to obviously see the gender and asked if I wanted to know. Already the mother of two daughters, there was a part of me that was hoping for a boy, but when I was told that there was another little baby girl in my womb, my heart lept for joy.

As I sat in my car after the appointment, my eyes filled with tears as I was told my third daughter was healthy and growing despite our traumatic events, I rubbed my belly and introduced myself: "Well, hello, Lauren Denae. I am your mommy and I love you so much. What a beautiful girl you are, I just know it! And you have two sisters and a daddy waiting to meet you, too. Just a few more weeks." 


Never. Ever. Not for an instance did I consider taking the life of my third daughter simply because I would have liked to have a son! 
NEVER. 

When I think of my third daughter now, in her twenties, married, and such a blessing to many, I can't imagine her not existing. It makes me literally shudder to think of such.





BUT YET....the statistics I am finding are startling and heartbreaking. Since the early 1970's, worldwide, more than 163 million baby girls have been aborted. Naturally your mind may have thought China and perhaps India. But what about America? Are we playing our part in that biological mayhem? Unfortunately, yes.

Did you know that in the U.S. today, only four states have made it illegal to selectively abort a specific gender? I didn't know it either. Nor did I want to believe it. The more I search and read, the more preposterous it becomes.

On one hand, you have the collective United States consistently condemning countries like China who do not even try to cover up their sex selective (in almost every case discriminating against female babies) abortion system. But, we are hypocrites here in America. The same thing is being done in clinics probably near you. But who wants to talk about it?

In the next couple of posts, I will give you more statistics and more facts. Meanwhile, I urge you to take time to read the two articles linked below:

Unnatural Selection: The War Against Girls

and


Life News.com on Clinics Doing Illegal Sex Selective Abortions


Ironically sad is the fact that woman who say they have the right to make decisions concerning their bodies are snuffing out the rights of unborn women. 

Does this make sense at all?