Friday, May 18, 2012

Take the Higher Road: Love At All Times




In light of my most recent post on the Amendment One vote in North Carolina at the beginning of May, God has been delving deeply into my soul and finding me lacking in the very thing I want more than anything. More of His love that comes from deep within me and illuminates everything I do, say, or think.


Though I can write words eloquently and persuasively...and do not have love as the root of those words, I have nothing. That is my simple interpretation of I Corinthians 13:1. Thankfully, I no longer rant and rave when I am upset (I had my moments acting in those way when I was younger, believe me), does that mean that I have arrived? That I am truly loving as Christ loves? Love starts deep within the soul, and it is a choice to nurture and enhance the emotions and actions compelled by love.


The Word of God is so contemporary, so all-consuming, so timely and powerful to what we need in our lives. I am thankful for its convicting potency in my life (well, most of the time). Here's my lesson for today.


"Love does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful...."(vs 5).

I may not show my irritation as quickly as I used to, but I still find myself feeling irritated toward other Christians who should know better how to live before a lost world, but yet choose not to do so. 



Here's the deal. The people in our lives may not always deserve the fruits of our love. The people in our lives are human - just as we are. For that very reason, the people in our lives deserve to see Jesus' love through us - no matter what they have done or not done. True love for others is not dependent on what they do or say. True love does not matter that someone else is not doing as I would do. True love just loves.....regardless. 


It seems that we have gotten so caught up in doing for others, becoming involved in charities, giving money to causes, taking mission trips, fighting for the underprivileged - so much so, that we have convinced ourselves all those things must equal LOVE. Though all those things can be done out of hearts of love, it is often not the case. Consider your motives. If you are replacing the very concept of love found deeply in your heart with the outward manifestations, then you are still truly bankrupt in the love bank. 


Husbands and wives, children and parents, co-workers, fellow Christians, church members, or just those you meet in passing. Love them because it is the higher road to take, the higher calling of a God who demonstrated it well when He walked on this earth, being born in the likeness of men. 


Take time to read Philippians 2:1-11 today. Read it subjectively. Keep yourself in the picture. Let those words be your only measuring cup today. 





The Proof of Your Love sung by For King & Country