Monday, August 6, 2012

From East to West

Forgive my quietness lately. First, I was involved in a very busy conference in Iowa and now am taking a week of vacation with my husband of 31 years (as of Thursday, August 8). We decided to visit coastal Oregon. The only thing I will tell you is that it won't be the last time. The beauty and diversity of landscape is mesmerizing.



The first day after flying into Portland and arriving at our little fishing cabin, we stayed close and rested except for a short trek to see a waterfall.

Three miles beyond us on a gravel road was the Silver Falls. Hiking to the falls was so enjoyable. Breathing the fresh air and watching my hubby lift a large tree with one hand was impressive.
(I hope you know that is a joke!)





Though we could not see them, we could hear many seals on the rocks below. During the summer months, we were told that fog is a common occurrence on the coast of Oregon.  



I particularly enjoyed seeing the different types of trees and foliage. So different from Southeastern coastal areas where I grew up.






Lighthouses are one of my favorite manmade things. It has been an enjoyable thing for my husband and I - over the last few years - to hunt down as many as we can find.

This is the lighthouse at Cape Arago.












Sunset Bay was a popular place the day we visited. There was even a wedding going on that afternoon in the north corner of the bay.












Charleston, Oregon's marina is a delightful plethora of shrimp and fishing boats & sailboats.

Sitting on the rock of the bay


Tomorrow we head South to visit the awe-inspiring Redwood National Park.
Today we chose to stay at the cabin, rest, read, nap, and relax.

Click HERE to watch what I saw and heard today while relaxing.

God bless. Good night from Oregon.