Tuesday, July 10, 2012

The Selective Servant of God



It happens to me occasionally. 
I crash & sizzle. 
Know what I mean?


Too many people to "fix" 
Too many demands
Too many lists of to-do's
Too many challenges with unknown endings. 
Not enough focusing on God, His blessings, His refreshments.


So, I just start shutting down. Become mechanical. Do only what needs to be done. Nothing more. 


When I get like this, I know it's time to step back and take a deep breath. 
Regroup. Recharge. Reassess my life.
WHY?

I have a calling on my life by my Creator God. I need to take it seriously. He has given me resources, responsibility, and a purpose in His kingdom work. That should matter to me.


As of today, there are 3 multi-layered facets which play hefty roles in my daily life. None of them can be set aside, plus I believe they are all part of my responsibility as a servant of Christ Jesus. 


But there are those other things with which I struggle. That take up a good amount of my energy.
Do they really belong in my life? 
If so, then I know God's strength is perfect & available. 
But what about those things that are not meant for me to carry?
Is there someone else that could do them? Fulfill the need? 
Are they really assigned to me by God or have I just taken them upon myself? (I'm really good at that!)


Just this morning I read a blog post by Michael Nichols about being in a funk. It was refreshing to know that I am not the only one who experiences these times. Being in leadership of any kind must be taken seriously, handled with care, and reevaluated often. God must be our power source: physically, mentally, spiritually, and emotionally.  (John 15:5)


Luke 12:42-48 speaks of an unfaithful steward and the consequences of his carelessness with the resources given him by his master. The story comes on the heels of Jesus telling us to be always ready for the True Master's return. Be faithful. Be diligent. Be a good caregiver over all that has been given into our hands. 
In the midst of Christ's teaching, Peter - gotta love him - asked the question, "Lord, are you addressing this parable to us, or to everyone else as well? (vs. 41)


Jesus answered Peter by relating the difference between a faithful and an unfaithful steward of God's resources. 
The key word is readiness
Staying in tune with the ways of the Master and doing all that He requires of us. Trusting Him and what He tells us to do. No matter what is happening around us.


"From everyone who has been given much, much will be required; and to whom they entrusted much, of him they will ask all the more."  (Luke 12:48b)


My responsibility in all this is to discern what is God-ordained in my life and 
what is merely Kim-picked or 
inserted in my life by the expectation of others. 







From there, I start weeding out the things that are keeping me from the God-ordained things. 
Keeping me from being productive. 
Keeping me from staying focused. 
Keeping me from being productive.
Keeping me from living an enriched life in Christ.


That's where I am right now. 

1.   Writing down my future goals and dreams
2.   Praying over them & hearing God's voice
3.   Marking off the list what would only draw me deeper into the funk hovering over me. 


From there....I must go forward with those things that I was created and equipped to do. WELL.










What do you do that works for you?