Wednesday, March 7, 2012

The Eternal Night Light



I kept my three year old granddaughter one night and had the wonderful privilege of tucking her into bed. We read books and sang songs, then it was finally time to turn off the light and hope that she would fall asleep quickly. Her nightlight beside her bed softly projected a safe glow on her sweet face.


Five minutes after I left her room, I heard her sweet little voice calling me, "Noni, come! Noni, you have to shut the door." Thinking that she was talking about her bedroom door, I peeped my head in, told her I loved her again, and started to pull the door closed. Well, that did not go well at all. The little voice picked up a few decibels and gained an emphatic tone. "Noni, NOOOOO. My closet door. You need to shut it. It's dark in there and I don't know what is in there." 


Shutting the closest door after giving it a cursory look through for creatures of the night, I assured her there was nothing in the closet that was going to harm here. I told her that God was all around her, even in the closet where it was so dark. 


I quoted some of the verse where Jesus tells His disciples, "I am the Light of the world. He who follows me will not walk in darkness, but will have the Light of life." That precipitated a melody of questions about light and God and if He was afraid of the dark. Soon, I kissed her on the cheek again, reminding her of her nightlight and how it was like God was right there with her. She fell asleep soon after.


Today I was reading in Daniel 2. Pulsing in front of my eyes and into my soul was verse 22. "He knows what is in the darkness, and the light dwells with Him." How does God know what is in the darkness? Simply because there is no darkness where He abides. It would be like us wearing a body suit that contained a type of luminescent light. Anywhere we went, there would be light. We would no longer come in contact with darkness because we always carried the light with us. And if we abide God, that's exactly what we do. Carry His light with us. 


Psalms 139:12 so beautifully portrays this:


Even the darkness is not dark to You, and the night is as bright as the day. Darkness and light are alike to You.

God is the Author of Light just as He is the Author of Life and Wisdom and Love and Salvation. 




How I praise Him for His Light that shines into my heart and guides me every day as I walk through a world filled with so much darkness. 






All of us need to be reminded that we have an eternal night light: one that never burns out. Never needs new batteries.