Tuesday, January 17, 2012

A Steady Heart



The stability of the world depends on the rejoicing 

in God’s works…. 

If on earth, such praise of God 

does not come to pass… 

then the whole order of nature will be thrown into confusion…” 
John Calvin


Intense in finishing the preliminary edit of my book In Every Place, I have been forced to go back, read the  black and white pages full of fear, despair, and pain. In my memory, I travel back to a time when the presence of God was foggy, unclear. Painful, powerful, life-altering times.

Even while reading the haunting words, I know full well that we are defined as much by our past as we are in the hope of the future. So, I trudge forward. Exhausted in my body by carrying the weight of the moment. Trying to put it on paper so that the reader can get inside the story, to feel as if they are sitting at my breakfast table and hearing me tell the story in dramatic flavor. So, I continue.

This does call for a steady heart. 
And a resolve to be faithful to the calling
 to finish this book, 
fearless to look the gripping words in the face.  

To remember - yes - but to dwell on His faithfulness. The rest of the story. His promises fulfilled.




Ann VosKamp's recent blog about anxiety strikes a tune of harmonic awareness. Read it when you have a minute.





TIMELY. I saw the link to this song on a friend's Facebook page yesterday. I inhaled the beauty and truth in it. I leave you with this music video from Kari Jobe. Steady My Heart.








When the earth totters, and all its inhabitants, it is I who keep steady its pillars. Selah



His heart is steady; he will not be afraid, until he looks in triumph on his adversaries.



Keep steady my steps according to your promise, and let no iniquity get dominion over me.