Friday, January 27, 2006

A Call in the Night

This girl I have known for almost two years, and the more I get to know her, the more she amazes me with her depth of faith and determination to live totally and truly for Christ. She's been through a lot, and it is only in the past three months that she has actually started reaching out to us in those dark, desperate times that seem to plague her more than she deserves.

Abused physically and emotionally, along with her mother and sisters, D- has seen over and over the promises of God's healing. She is a talented young lady, involved in many different aspects of college life. But she has always chosen the CBF, our on-campus Christian organization would be a priority in her busy schedule.

Last summer she called me when she went home to visit some extended family and there were some things going on that she just didn't understand. She called me before the Christmas break to talk about a conviction from the Holy Spirit that had been laid on her concerning her choice of music. This week she called me and her cry was one of fear, despondency, anger, and confusion.

More and more, as God asks me to sink myself into the lives of these students, I realize how inadequate I am for the task. But that is when God lovinginly and firmly reminds me that it is His wisdom, His strength, His words that need be imparted, not mine. That's a relief off my shoulders if I could keep those truths close to me.

I asked D- many questions, gave her my insight into some issues that she was struggling with, and then I prayed with her - right on the phone. I have done that many times in the past few years, and I never ceased to be enthralled in the triangular bond that forms through that phone line and the celestial line! I am a person who believes in the "speech" of touch -- but there's nothing more powerful than the touch of prayer on a hurting person's life.

In this ministry, I have come to expect the calls in the night -- and they are not always easy. But I pray that I will constantly seek God's face for the times I am called on to answer someone in the dark!