Thursday, April 21, 2011

Where's God in Those Days That Go Awry?

We all like to be productive. If you are a check list kind of person, you know that there is nothing like picking up a pen and putting a physical check by something that has been completed (or a check on a computer calendar is just as satisfying for some). No matter how you get your to-do list done, it bodes well with our spirits to acknowledge that our plans worked out like we had hoped. All seems right with the world even if we have expended a large amount of effort to make it all happen.

But what about when things do not go as planned? Plans run amok. Take on a different feel. Completely redefine our day. What then? No check marks can put beside our list. There is no productivity-induced euphoria. We panic. We sigh. We grunt. We shake our heads. We use words that are becoming. We feel rage. We feel discontentment. We are not happy nor satisfied. We are suddenly exhausted by the empty spinning of our wheels that "allegedly" took us no where.

David said in Psalm 31:15, "My times are in Your hand; Deliver me from the hand of my enemies and from those who persecute me." But even before he sang those words to God, in verses 3 - 5: "For You are my rock and my fortress: For Your name's sake You will lead me and guide me. You will pull me out of the net which they have secretly laid for me, For You are my strength. Into Your hand I commit my spirit; You have ransomed me, O Lord, God of truth."

We are so quick to ask God for protection, safety and guidance. But then, when our plans are altered, our trip is cut short or we must detour, or something else comes up that may slow us down, we become frustrated. So, do we really mean what we pray? Perhaps we would be more honest with ourselves and God if we pray specifically and let God know up front that we want His protection, guidance, and safety - but only where it corresponds perfectly with our well-thought out plans. Would we dare do that?

Just a thought for the day. I'll be back. Don't worry.

Your thoughts?